Easy ways to make your yard an outdoor oasis this summer
Summer is the season when your backyard takes center stage. If you want, you can create a beautiful, lush outdoor space that you can enjoy all season long.
“It’s no secret that backyards are the best place to spend time with family and friends in the summer months,” says Chris Lambton, yard and garden expert for Fiskars. “Using the right tools to take care of your grass, trees, plants and shrubs will freshen the look of your outdoor space and create a yard that feels like an oasis for you and your guests.”
Lambton offers his tips and tools to help your yard flourish this season:
Maintain proper lawn height
The optimal grass height for a healthy lawn changes with the time of year. Cut grass shorter in the spring and fall and keep it longer in summer so it won’t dry out.
Encourage new plant growth
Pruning and deadheading are necessary for plant health as they encourage new growth. Pruning is great for keeping tall plants within bounds, stimulating branch growth and blooms and tightening up plants that get lanky throughout the season, including perennials and shrubs. Hand shears cut through stems and light branches and are perfect for quick and easy maintenance projects around the yard. Deadheading can be done year-round when a flowering plant fades using a tool like a pruning snip.
Know when to water
If you walk across the grass and the blades don’t spring back, then you know it’s time to water. Choose an adjustable sprinkler that allows you to customize the spray pattern and tailor to irregularly shaped lawns to prevent over-watering. When watering potted plants, the goal is to create soil that's damp but not soggy.
Incorporate decorative DIY
Creating a comfortable and inviting outdoor space makes seasonal entertaining easy and fun. One way to update your furnishings without buying a new patio set is to upcycle materials from your home.
Containers are an easy, low-commitment way to add design elements and even a splash of color to your backyard. They’re also highly versatile, allowing you to rearrange your yard on a whim or change out plants to match the season or mood. Repurpose glass jars, aluminum cans and ceramic pots to make beautiful container gardens on your patio.
Another easy DIY is to turn old wooden crates into extra seating by painting them in bright colors, securing them atop one another and adding a decorative cushion — the possibilities are endless!
- 2950 Whitehorse Rd, Nashville, IN 47448
- 4 Beds · 5 Baths · 7284 Sqft
- Lovely country estate on 14 acres w/stocked pond. 4 BR/4.5 bath brick ranch w/finished w/out LL. 4catt garage. Geotherma ..
- 9793 W Ridgeway Ct, Columbus, IN 47201
- 4 Beds · 3 Baths · 3928 Sqft
- Lovely 4 BR/2.5bath brick ranch overlooking Harrison Lake w/lake access and new private dock. Walk/out LL has rec room ..
- 5994 Leatherback Ct, Columbus, IN 47201
- 4 Beds · 4 Baths · 5781 Sqft
- Spacious 4 BR/3.5b brk/cedar trad. in Tipton Lakes. Lovely cul-de-sac lot w/deck & brk patio. 3 catt garage. Fin LL w/r ..
- 2060 Franklin St, Columbus, IN 47201
- 3 Beds · 2 Baths · 1812 Sqft
- Location! Location! 2 blocks from Donner Park. 3BR/2ba brick ranch.Fully appl kitchen w/Carl Fox cabinets.2catt gar. Ope ..
- 2950 Prairie Stream Way, Columbus, IN 47203
- 3 Beds · 2 Baths · 2604 Sqft
- 3BR/2ba brick ranch w/partial fin LL. Newer roof, windows, utility shed. Immed. poss. Fully applianced kitchen. Immacula ..
- 3350 Marilyn St, Columbus, IN 47203
- 4 Beds · 2 Baths · 2426 Sqft
- This totally updated 4 BR/2ba tri-level should not be missed. Updated kitchen w/new appliances & countertops & freshly p ..
- 2662 Pearl St, Columbus, IN 47201
- 3 Beds · 3 Baths · 2689 Sqft
- Charming 3 BR/3bath bungalow with many great features: Hardwood floors, part fin. basement, inground pool and fenced bac ..