Easy ways to make your yard an outdoor oasis this summer
Summer is the season when your backyard takes center stage. If you want, you can create a beautiful, lush outdoor space that you can enjoy all season long.
“It’s no secret that backyards are the best place to spend time with family and friends in the summer months,” says Chris Lambton, yard and garden expert for Fiskars. “Using the right tools to take care of your grass, trees, plants and shrubs will freshen the look of your outdoor space and create a yard that feels like an oasis for you and your guests.”
Lambton offers his tips and tools to help your yard flourish this season:
Maintain proper lawn height
The optimal grass height for a healthy lawn changes with the time of year. Cut grass shorter in the spring and fall and keep it longer in summer so it won’t dry out.
Encourage new plant growth
Pruning and deadheading are necessary for plant health as they encourage new growth. Pruning is great for keeping tall plants within bounds, stimulating branch growth and blooms and tightening up plants that get lanky throughout the season, including perennials and shrubs. Hand shears cut through stems and light branches and are perfect for quick and easy maintenance projects around the yard. Deadheading can be done year-round when a flowering plant fades using a tool like a pruning snip.
Know when to water
If you walk across the grass and the blades don’t spring back, then you know it’s time to water. Choose an adjustable sprinkler that allows you to customize the spray pattern and tailor to irregularly shaped lawns to prevent over-watering. When watering potted plants, the goal is to create soil that's damp but not soggy.
Incorporate decorative DIY
Creating a comfortable and inviting outdoor space makes seasonal entertaining easy and fun. One way to update your furnishings without buying a new patio set is to upcycle materials from your home.
Containers are an easy, low-commitment way to add design elements and even a splash of color to your backyard. They’re also highly versatile, allowing you to rearrange your yard on a whim or change out plants to match the season or mood. Repurpose glass jars, aluminum cans and ceramic pots to make beautiful container gardens on your patio.
Another easy DIY is to turn old wooden crates into extra seating by painting them in bright colors, securing them atop one another and adding a decorative cushion — the possibilities are endless!
- 8248 Grandview Rd, Columbus, IN 47201
- 3 Beds · 4 Baths · 3482 Sqft
- Spectacular 3 BR/3.5ba log home on 19 gorgeous wooded acres. Features include: 40 X 48 barn, 2catt garage and 16 X 24 st ..
- 3884 Heritage Ct, Columbus, IN 47203
- 4 Beds · 5 Baths · 5792 Sqft
- Gorgeous 2sty brk trad on lovely cul de sac lot. 3catt gar. Lg MBR on main level.4BR/4.5ba.
- 1035 Champion Ct, Columbus, IN 47201
- 3 Beds · 2 Baths · 2314 Sqft
- Tipton Lakes. Lovely 3 BR/2ba brk ranch.Updated kitchen & baths. New flooring throughout. 3catt garage. Freshly painted ..
- 3210 Grove Pkwy, Columbus, IN 47203
- 3 Beds · 3 Baths · 4588 Sqft
- Forest Park 3 BR/2.5 bath stone ranch on double lot w/large fenced backyard/deck. Glass sun porch. Updated kitchen. WBFP ..
- 1754 27th St, Columbus, IN 47201
- 2 Beds · 2 Baths · 1536 Sqft
- Lovely well maintained 2BR/2ba brk condo w/2catt gar & 3 seasons porch. Recent updates include HVAC, water heater, wate ..
- 4651 Monterey Dr, Columbus, IN 47203
- 3 Beds · 3 Baths · 2280 Sqft
- Immaculate 3 BR/2ba contemporary on beautiful corner lot w/fenced backyard with storage building. Andersen Windows. Upda ..
- 2845 Whipporwill Dr, Columbus, IN 47203
- 4 Beds · 3 Baths · 3270 Sqft
- Lovely 4BR/2.5 ba 2sty trad. Gorgeous corner lot w/beautiful landscaping. Updated kitchen & baths. New carpet in LR & DR ..
- 1959 St James Pl, Columbus, IN 47201
- 3 Beds · 3 Baths · 1817 Sqft
- 3 BR/3ba comtemp w/high ceilings and lots of natural light. Kitchen w/SS appl and granite counters. Fenced backyard and ..
- 2424 N Cherry St, Columbus, IN 47201
- 2 Beds · 1 Bath · 1512 Sqft
- Totally remodeled 2 BR/1ba bungalow. New roof, siding, windows, carpet, & appliances. Full unfin. basement. Convenient t ..
- 7943 E 450 N, Columbus, IN 47203
- 3 Beds · 1 Bath · 1752 Sqft
- Historic 3 BR/1 ba home on 3 acre lot. Newer gas FA/CA. 1cdth gar & out building. Large BRs. Great potential. Immediate ..